Resizing a Linode
Updated by Dave Russell
We make it easy to upgrade or downgrade your Linode VPS by changing plans and adding additional resources. If you’re expecting a temporary burst of traffic to your website, or if you’re not using your VPS as much as you thought, you can temporarily or permanently resize your Linode to a different plan.
Resizing Your Linode
You can move your Linode from one plan to another by using the resize feature. To complete the resizing process, your Linode will be powered off and migrated to a different host in the same data center. Your data, configuration profiles, and IP addresses will be all be moved to the new host. Please note that the migration will take approximately 1 minute for every 3-5 gigabytes of data.
If you’re downgrading your plan, verify that your disks are using less space than the new plan provides. For instructions on resizing disks, see Manage Linode Disks.
Here’s how to resize your Linode:
- Log in to the Linode Manager.
- Click the Linodes tab. A list of your virtual private servers appears.
- Select a Linode from the list.
- Click the Resize tab. The webpage shown below appears.
- Select a plan.
- Click Resize this Linode Now. Your Linode will be powered off and moved to another host. Depending on the size of your Linode, this process can take up to one hour.
- Once the migration completes, your Linode will still be powered off. From the Dashboard tab, click Boot to turn it on.
Your Linode has been successfully resized and migrated to the new host.
This guide is published under a CC BY-ND 4.0 license.