Compute - Compute Instances
Linux virtual machines equipped with a tailored set of resources designed to run any cloud-based workload.
Compute Instances are virtual machines that run on Linode’s secure and reliable cloud infrastructure. To support a variety of workloads, Compute Instance plans are organized under several basic plan types, each with their own set of resources, unique value propositions, and technical specifications (see Plan Types). Each Compute Instance can run a variety of supported Linux distributions, including the latest versions of Ubuntu, CentOS Stream, Debian, and more.
Compute Instances are available across all regions.
Below is a table with specifications and prices for each type of Compute plan. Note that pricing and plan availability may vary between regions. See our Pricing page for a full list of pricing options.
|Shared CPU||Shared||1 GB - 192 GB Memory, 1 - 32 vCPUs, 25 GB - 3840 GB Storage|
Starting at $5/mo ($0.0075/hour)
Offers a balanced array of resources coupled with shared CPUs, which keeps costs down while still supporting a wide variety of cloud applications.
Best for development servers, staging servers, and low traffic web applications.
|Dedicated CPU||Dedicated||4 GB - 512 GB Memory, 2 - 64 vCPUs, 80 GB - 7200 GB Storage|
Starting at $36/mo ($0.05/hour)
Equipped with Dedicated CPUs, which provide competition-free guaranteed CPU resources. Perfectly balanced for most production applications.
Best for production websites, high traffic databases, and any application that requires 100% sustained CPU usage.
|Premium||Dedicated||4 GB - 512 GB Memory, 2 - 64 vCPUs, 80 GB - 7200 GB Storage|
Starting at $43/mo ($0.06/hour)
Provides the best available AMD EPYC™ CPUs on dedicated resources. Consistent performance for CPU-intensive workloads.
Best for enterprise-grade, business-critical, and latency-sensitive applications.
|High Memory||Dedicated||24 GB - 300 GB Memory, 2 - 16 vCPUs, 20 GB - 340 GB Storage|
Starting at $60/mo ($0.09/hour)
Optimized for memory-intensive applications and equipped with Dedicated CPUs, which provide competition free guaranteed CPU resources.
Best for in-memory databases, in-memory caching systems, big data processing, and any production application that requires a large amount of memory while keeping costs down.
|GPU||Dedicated||1 - 4 NVIDIA Quadro RTX cards, 24 - 96 GB Video Memory, 32 GB - 128 GB Memory, 8 - 24 vCPUs, 640 GB - 2560 GB Storage|
Starting at $1000/mo ($1.50/hour)
The only instance type that’s equipped with NVIDIA Quadro RTX 6000 GPUs (up to 4) for on demand execution of complex processing workloads.
Best for applications that require massive amounts of parallel processing power, including machine learning, AI, graphics processing, and big data analysis.
See Choosing a Compute Instance Type and Plan for a full comparison.
In addition to the resources allocated to each available plan (outlined above), Compute Instances have the following specifications:
- Shared or Dedicated vCPU cores (dependent on the chosen plan)
- 100% SSD (Solid State Disk) storage
- 40 Gbps inbound network bandwidth
- Free inbound network transfer (ingress)
- Metered outbound network transfer (egress) that includes 1 TB - 20 TB of prorated* network transfer allowance
- Dedicated IPv4 and IPv6 addresses (additional addresses available on request)
- Deploy using the many available Linux Distributions, Marketplace Apps, or Community StackScripts
- Direct console access through Lish
- Provisioning and management through the Cloud Manager, Linode CLI, or programmatically through the Linode API
- Multi-queue NIC support on plans with 2 or more vCPU cores.
*If a service is not active for the entire month, the amount of network transfer allowance is prorated based on the number of hours the service is active.
Linode bundles the following services with all Compute Instances:
- Always-on DDoS Protection
- Domain management through our DNS Manager
- Seamless firewall management with Cloud Firewalls
- Private Layer 2 networks with VLANs
- Metrics and monitoring through the Cloud Manager and Longview (free plan)
- Reusable deployment scripts through StackScripts
To help build and manage your applications, consider complementing your Compute Instance with the following compatible services:
- Automated daily and weekly backups with our Backups service
- Add additional storage drives with Block Storage
- Create and store reusable images with Custom Images
- Advanced metrics and monitoring through Longview Pro
- Automated service deployments with LKE (Linode Kubernetes Engine)
- Incident response (and more) with Managed Services
- Enable load balancing and horizontal scaling with NodeBalancers
- Add scalable storage to your application with Object Storage
This page was originally published on