Compute - High Memory
Virtual Machines that offer a cost-effective way to run memory-intensive applications on dedicated CPUs.
High Memory Compute Instances are virtual machines that offer a greater price-to-performance ratio for memory-intensive applications. When compared to Dedicated CPU Instances, High Memory Instances provide the same dedicated CPU resources but are equipped with more memory per CPU core. This tunes them specifically for memory-intensive applications that value larger amounts of memory over a larger number of CPU cores.
High Memory plans are ideal for production applications and CPU-intensive workloads that value greater memory over CPU resources, including caching systems, high-performance databases, and in-memory data processing.
Fast Data Retrieval and In-Memory Processing
Optimized for in-memory databases and caches, the High Memory Linode is perfect for high-performance querying and is a good addition to any enterprise-level database solution.
Keep recently-accessed data in memory to speed up retrieval times. Use a High Memory Linode as a Memcached or Redis in-memory data store for better application performance.
Run queries on large data volumes. High memory Linodes make it possible to process your data completely in memory and quickly get query results.
Dedicated Competition-Free Resources
A High Memory Instance provides entire vCPU cores accessible only to you. Because the vCPU cores are not shared, no other Compute Instances can utilize them. Your instance never has to wait for another process, enabling your software to run at peak speed and efficiency. This allows you to run workloads that require full-duty work (100% CPU all day, every day) at peak performance.
High Memory Compute Instances are suitable for workloads that value much larger amounts of memory than other plans of a similar price. This includes:
- Any production application that requires large amounts of memory
- In-memory database caching systems, such as Redis and Memcached
- In-memory databases, such as possible with NoSQL and other solutions
- Big data processing (and data analysis)
High Memory instances are available across all regions.
Plans and Pricing
|vCPU cores||2-16 cores|
|Memory||24 GB - 300 GB|
|Storage||20 GB - 340 GB|
|Outbound Network Transfer||5 TB - 9 TB|
|Outbound Network Bandwidth||5 Gbps - 9 Gbps|
Pricing starts at $60 for a High Memory Compute Instance with 2 vCPU cores, 24GB memory, and 20GB SSD storage. Review the Pricing page for additional plans and their associated costs. See the Comparison of Compute Instances section below to learn more about other Instance types.
Additional Technical Specifications
In addition to the resources allocated to each available plan (outlined above), High Memory Compute Instances have the following specifications:
- Dedicated vCPU cores
- 100% SSD (Solid State Disk) storage
- 40 Gbps inbound network bandwidth
- Free inbound network transfer
- Dedicated IPv4 and IPv6 addresses (additional addresses available on request)
- Deploy using the many available Linux Distributions, Marketplace Apps, or Community StackScripts
- Direct console access through Lish
- Provisioning and management through the Cloud Manager, Linode CLI, or programmatically through the Linode API
- Multi-queue NIC support
Services Included at No Extra Cost
Linode bundles the following services with all Compute Instances:
- Always-on DDoS Protection
- Domain management through our DNS Manager
- Seamless firewall management with Cloud Firewalls
- Private Layer 2 networks with VLANs
- Metrics and monitoring through the Cloud Manager and Longview (free plan)
- Reusable deployment scripts through StackScripts
Complementary Paid Services
To help build and manage your applications, consider complementing your Compute Instance with the following compatible services:
- Automated daily and weekly backups with our Backups service
- Add additional storage drives with Block Storage
- Create and store reusable images with Custom Images
- Advanced metrics and monitoring through Longview Pro
- Automated service deployments with LKE (Linode Kubernetes Engine)
- Incident response (and more) with Managed Services
- Enable load balancing and horizontal scaling with NodeBalancers
- Add scalable storage to your application with Object Storage
Comparison of Compute Instances
|Shared CPU Instance||Shared||1 GB - 192 GB Memory, 1 - 32 vCPUs, 25 GB - 2840 GB Storage|
Starting at $5/mo ($0.0075/hour)
Offers a balanced array of resources coupled with shared CPUs, which keeps costs down while still supporting a wide variety of cloud applications.
Best for development servers, staging servers, low traffic web applications, and almost any modern web application.
|Dedicated CPU Instance||Dedicated||4 GB - 512 GB Memory, 2 - 64 vCPUs, 80 GB - 7200 GB Storage|
Starting at $30/mo ($0.045/hour)
Equipped with Dedicated CPUs, which provide competition free guaranteed CPU resources. Perfectly balanced for most production applications.
Best for production websites, enterprise applications, high traffic databases, and any application that requires 100% sustained CPU usage.
|High Memory Instance||Dedicated||24 GB - 300 GB Memory, 2 - 16 vCPUs, 20 GB - 340 GB Storage|
Starting at $60/mo ($0.09/hour)
Optimized for memory-intensive applications and equipped with Dedicated CPUs, which provide competition free guaranteed CPU resources.
Best for in-memory databases, in-memory caching systems, big data processing, and any production application that requires a large amount of memory while keeping costs down.
|GPU Instance||Dedicated||32 GB - 128 GB Memory, 8 - 24 vCPUs, 640 GB - 2560 GB Storage|
Starting at $1000/mo ($1.50/hour)
The only instance type that’s equipped with Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 GPUs (up to 4) for on demand execution of complex processing workloads.
Best for applications that require massive amounts of parallel processing power, including machine learning, AI, graphics processing, and big data analysis.
See Choosing a Compute Instance Type and Plan for a full comparison.
This page was originally published on