Images - Get Started
Create preconfigured disk images that can be rapidly deployed to new or existing Compute Instances.
NotePricing change: Starting on September 1, 2021, Custom Images has transitioned to a paid service with a cost of $0.10/GB per month for each Custom Image stored on an account. Recovery Images, generated automatically after a Compute Instance is deleted, will continue to be provided at no cost. See Images > Pricing for additional details.
All Images stored on your Account are visible from the main Images page within the Cloud Manager. Images are divided between two tables: Custom Images and Recovery Images.
Custom Images: Images that are manually created by a user on the account. These Images were either captured from an existing Compute Instance’s disk or uploaded from an image file. Custom Images do not expire and remain on the account until they are manually deleted.
Recovery Images: Temporary Images that are automatically created when a Compute Instance is deleted (provided the Instance has been active for at least 12 hours). Recovery Images have a defined expiration date and, once expired, are automatically deleted. The expiration timeline is typically equal to the number of hours the Instance was active, up to 7 days.
Creating an Image
Within the Images page of the Cloud Manager, click Create Image.
- To capture an Image from an existing Compute Instances’s disk, complete the form under the Capture Image tab. See Capture an Image for full instructions.
- To upload an Image using an image file, complete the form under the Upload Image tab. See Upload an Image for full instructions.
Deploying and Managing Existing Images
To take action on an Image, locate the Image within the Images page of the Cloud Manager and click the corresponding ellipsis options menu. From here, there are a few actions that can be initiated:
- Edit: Change the Label and Description for the Image.
- Deploy to a New Compute Instance: Create a new Compute Instance using the Image. See Deploy an Image to a New Compute Instance.
- Deploy to an Existing Compute Instnace: Rebuild an Instance or create a new disk using the Image. See Deploy an Image to an Existing Compute Instance.
- Delete: Delete the Image (cannot be undone).
This page was originally published on