Guides - Deploying Grav through the Linode Marketplace
Quickly deploy a Compute Instance with many various software applications pre-installed and ready to use.
Grav is a flexible open source flat-file CMS (Content Management System). It can be used by both technical and non-technical people, allowing users to operate in the command line through its own CLI or in a web browser through its Admin panel . Page templates in Grav are constructed using the highly customizable Twig templating engine and content can be written directly in Markdown. Using Grav also enables you to pull from a plethora of pre-built resources, including starter templates , unique themes , and quite a few plugins . If you need assistance getting started, there is an active community form and extensive documentation .
Deploying a Marketplace App
The Linode Marketplace allows you to easily deploy software on a Compute Instance using the Cloud Manager. See Get Started with Marketplace Apps for complete steps.
Log in to the Cloud Manager and select the Marketplace link from the left navigation menu. This displays the Linode Create page with the Marketplace tab pre-selected.
Under the Select App section, select the app you would like to deploy.
Complete the form by following the steps and advice within the Creating a Compute Instance guide. Depending on the Marketplace App you selected, there may be additional configuration options available. See the Configuration Options section below for compatible distributions, recommended plans, and any additional configuration options available for this Marketplace App.
Click the Create Linode button. Once the Compute Instance has been provisioned and has fully powered on, wait for the software installation to complete. If the instance is powered off or restarted before this time, the software installation will likely fail.
To verify that the app has been fully installed, see Get Started with Marketplace Apps > Verify Installation . Once installed, follow the instructions within the Getting Started After Deployment section to access the application and start using it.
NoteEstimated deployment time: Grav should be fully installed within 5-10 minutes after the Compute Instance has finished provisioning.
- Supported distributions: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
- Recommended plan: All plan types and sizes can be used.
- Email address (required): Enter the email address to use for generating the SSL certificates.
Limited User (Optional)
You can optionally fill out the following fields to automatically create a limited user for your new Compute Instance. This is recommended for most deployments as an additional security measure. This account will be assigned to the sudo group, which provides elevated permission when running commands with the
- Limited sudo user: Enter your preferred username for the limited user.
- Password for the limited user: Enter a strong password for the new user.
- SSH public key for the limited user: If you wish to login as the limited user through public key authentication (without entering a password), enter your public key here. See Creating an SSH Key Pair and Configuring Public Key Authentication on a Server for instructions on generating a key pair.
- Disable root access over SSH: To block the root user from logging in over SSH, select Yes (recommended). You can still switch to the root user once logged in and you can also log in as root through Lish .
Custom Domain (Optional)
If you wish to automatically configure a custom domain, you first need to configure your domain to use Linode’s name servers. This is typically accomplished directly through your registrar. See Use Linode’s Name Servers with Your Domain . Once that is finished, you can fill out the following fields for the Marketplace App:
- Linode API Token: If you wish to use the Linode’s DNS Manager to manage DNS records for your custom domain, create a Linode API Personal Access Token on your account with Read/Write access to Domains. If this is provided along with the subdomain and domain fields (outlined below), the installation attempts to create DNS records via the Linode API. See Get an API Access Token . If you do not provide this field, you need to manually configure your DNS records through your DNS provider and point them to the IP address of the new instance.
- Subdomain: The subdomain you wish to use, such as www for
- Domain: The domain name you wish to use, such as example.com.
Getting Started after Deployment
Accessing the Grav Admin Panel
Open your web browser and navigate to
http://[domain]/admin, where [domain] can be replaced with the custom domain you entered during deployment or your Compute Instance’s rDNS domain (such as
192-0-2-1.ip.linodeusercontent.com). You can also use your IPv4 address, though your connection will not be encrypted. See the Managing IP Addresses guide for information on viewing IP addresses and rDNS.
You are now prompted to create a new admin user for Grav. Complete the form and click the Create User button.
Once the admin user had been created, you are automatically logged in and taken to the Admin dashboard. From here, you can fully administer your new Grav site, including creating content, modifying your configuration, changing your theme, and much more.
Now that you’ve accessed your dashboard, check out the official Grav documentation to learn how to further utilize your Grav instance.
NoteCurrently, Linode does not manage software and systems updates for Marketplace Apps. It is up to the user to perform routine maintenance on software deployed in this fashion.
You may wish to consult the following resources for additional information on this topic. While these are provided in the hope that they will be useful, please note that we cannot vouch for the accuracy or timeliness of externally hosted materials.
This page was originally published on