Guides - Deploy Harbor through the Linode Marketplace
Quickly deploy a Compute Instance with many various software applications pre-installed and ready to use.
Harbor is an open source container registry platform, cloud-native content storage, and signing/scanning tool. Harbor enhances the open source Docker distribution by providing features like security, identification, and management. The image transfer efficiency can be improved by having a registry closer to the build and run environment. Harbor includes comprehensive security features like user administration, access control, and activity auditing, as well as image replication between registries.
Harbor is an excellent compliment to the Linode Kubernetes Engine (LKE). However, you cannot install Harbor on an existing or new LKE clusters.
The Linode Marketplace allows you to easily deploy software on a Compute Instance using the Cloud Manager. See Get Started with Marketplace Apps for complete steps.
Log in to the Cloud Manager and select the Marketplace link from the left navigation menu. This displays the Linode Create page with the Marketplace tab pre-selected.
Under the Select App section, select the app you would like to deploy.
Complete the form by following the steps and advice within the Creating a Compute Instance guide. Depending on the Marketplace App you selected, there may be additional configuration options available. See the Configuration Options section below for compatible distributions, recommended plans, and any additional configuration options available for this Marketplace App.
Click the Create Linode button. Once the Compute Instance has been provisioned and has fully powered on, wait for the software installation to complete. If the instance is powered off or restarted before this time, the software installation will likely fail.
To verify that the app has been fully installed, see Get Started with Marketplace Apps > Verify Installation. Once installed, follow the instructions within the Getting Started After Deployment section to access the application and start using it.
- Supported distributions: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
- Recommended plan: All plan types and sizes can be used.
- Email address (required): Enter the email address to use for generating the SSL certificates.
You can fill out the following fields to automatically create a limited sudo user for your new Compute Instance. This account will be assigned to the sudo group, which provides elevated permissions when running commands with the
- Limited sudo user: Enter your preferred username for the limited user. No Capital Letters, Spaces, or Special Characters
- SSH public key for the limited user: If you wish to login as the limited user through public key authentication (without entering a password), enter your public key here. See Creating an SSH Key Pair and Configuring Public Key Authentication on a Server for instructions on generating a key pair.
- Disable root access over SSH: To block the root user from logging in over SSH, select Yes (recommended). You can still switch to the root user once logged in, and you can also log in as root through Lish.
/root/.credentials to obtain the limited sudo user password.
If you wish to automatically configure a custom domain, you first need to configure your domain to use Linode’s name servers. This is typically accomplished directly through your registrar. See Use Linode’s Name Servers with Your Domain. Once that is finished, you can fill out the following fields for the Marketplace App:
- Linode API Token: If you wish to use the Linode’s DNS Manager to manage DNS records for your custom domain, create a Linode API Personal Access Token on your account with Read/Write access to Domains. If this is provided along with the subdomain and domain fields (outlined below), the installation attempts to create DNS records via the Linode API. See Get an API Access Token. If you do not provide this field, you need to manually configure your DNS records through your DNS provider and point them to the IP address of the new instance.
- Subdomain: The subdomain you wish to use, such as www for
- Domain: The domain name you wish to use, such as example.com.
") within any of the App-specific configuration fields, including user and database password fields. This special character may cause issues during deployment.
Open your web browser and navigate to
https://DOMAIN/, where DOMAIN can be replaced with the custom domain you entered during deployment or your Compute Instance’s rDNS domain (such as
192-0-2-1.ip.linodeusercontent.com). See the Managing IP Addresses guide for information on viewing rDNS.
To locate your Harbor login credentials, view the Harbor credentials file through one of the methods below:
Lish Console: Within the Cloud Manager, navigate to Linodes from the left menu, select the Compute Instance you just deployed, and click the Launch LISH Console button. See Using the Lish Console.
SSH: Log in to your Compute Instance over SSH using the
rootuser and run the following command. See Connecting to a Remote Server Over SSH for assistance.
In the Harbor login screen that appears, enter
adminas the username and use the Harbor admin password found in your
Now that you’ve accessed your dashboard, check out the official Harbor documentation to learn how to further utilize your Harbor instance.
You may wish to consult the following resources for additional information on this topic. While these are provided in the hope that they will be useful, please note that we cannot vouch for the accuracy or timeliness of externally hosted materials.
This page was originally published on