Reset the Root Password on your Linode
Updated by Linode
Use promo code DOCS10 for $10 credit on a new account.
This QuickAnswer will show you how to reset the root password for the Linux distribution running on your Linode. See our Accounts and Passwords guide for additional information.
- Click the Linodes tab in the Linode Manager.
- Select a Linode to pull up its Dashboard.
- Click Shut down to turn off your Linode. Monitor the Host Job Queue for a message indicating that your Linode has shut down.
- Click the Rescue tab.
- Select your primary disk from the Filesystem menu.
- Enter a new password for the
rootuser in the New Password field.
- Click Reset Root Password. The Linode’s dashboard appears.
- Click Boot to turn on your Linode.
- Enable Backups on a Linode
- Deploy an Image to a Linode
- Resize a Linode Disk
- How to Install SELinux on Ubuntu
- How to Use Wget
This guide is published under a CC BY-ND 4.0 license.