Reset the Root Password on your Linode
Updated by Linode Written by Nick Brewer
This QuickAnswer will show you how to reset the root password for the Linux distribution running on your Linode. See our Accounts and Passwords guide for additional information.
- Click the Linodes tab in the Linode Manager.
- Select a Linode to pull up its Dashboard.
- Click Shut down to turn off your Linode. Monitor the Host Job Queue for a message indicating that your Linode has shut down.
- Click the Rescue tab.
- Select your primary disk from the Filesystem menu.
- Enter a new password for the
rootuser in the New Password field.
- Click Reset Root Password. The Linode’s dashboard appears.
- Click Boot to turn on your Linode.
- Deploy an Image to a Linode
- Enable Backups on a Linode
- Resize a Linode Disk
- How to install Git on Linux
- Create, Tag, and Upload Your Own Docker Image
This guide is published under a CC BY-ND 4.0 license.