HashiCorp Nomad is a simple and flexible scheduler and orchestrator to deploy and manage containers and non-containerized applications across cloud platforms (and on-premises servers) at scale.
Deploying a Marketplace App
The Linode Marketplace allows you to easily deploy software on a Compute Instance using the Cloud Manager. See Get Started with Marketplace Apps for complete steps.
- Log in to the Cloud Manager and select the Marketplace link from the left navigation menu. This displays the Linode Create page with the Marketplace tab pre-selected.
- Under the Select App section, select the app you would like to deploy.
- Complete the form by following the steps and advice within the Creating a Compute Instance guide. Depending on the Marketplace App you selected, there may be additional configuration options available. See the Configuration Options section below for compatible distributions, recommended plans, and any additional configuration options available for this Marketplace App.
- Click the Create Linode button. Once the Compute Instance has been provisioned and has fully powered on, wait for the software installation to complete. If the instance is powered off or restarted before this time, the software installation will likely fail.
To verify that the app has been fully installed, see Get Started with Marketplace Apps > Verify Installation. Once installed, follow the instructions within the Getting Started After Deployment section to access the application and start using it.
Estimated deployment time: Nomad should be fully installed within 5-10 minutes after the Compute Instance has finished provisioning.
- Supported distributions: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, Debian 11
- Recommended plan: We recommend a 4GB Dedicated CPU or Shared Compute instance for the Nomad Server. Nomad Clients (deployed separately from this Marketplace App) can use plans of any size.
Limited User (Optional)
You can optionally fill out the following fields to automatically create a limited user for your new Compute Instance. This is recommended for most deployments as an additional security measure. This account will be assigned to the sudo group, which provides elevated permission when running commands with the
- Limited sudo user: Enter your preferred username for the limited user.
- Password for the limited user: Enter a strong password for the new user.
- SSH public key for the limited user: If you wish to login as the limited user through public key authentication (without entering a password), enter your public key here. See Creating an SSH Key Pair and Configuring Public Key Authentication on a Server for instructions on generating a key pair.
- Disable root access over SSH: To block the root user from logging in over SSH, select Yes (recommended). You can still switch to the root user once logged in and you can also log in as root through Lish.
Getting Started After Deployment
Accessing the Nomad Web UI
- Open your web browser and navigate to
http://[ip-address]:8080, where [ip-address] is your Compute Instance’s IPv4 address. See the Managing IP Addresses guide for information on viewing IP addresses.
- The Nomad Web UI is displayed. From here, you can manage the cluster, jobs, integrations, and ACL tokens.
HashiCorp recommends using mutual TLS (mTLS) with a private CA to secure cluster communications and the web UI. Please see the following HashiCorp documentation for more details. https://learn.hashicorp.com/tutorials/nomad/security-enable-tls https://www.nomadproject.io/docs/configuration/tls#http
- Additional configurations are required to use the Linode Marketplace Nomad Server in a production environment. We recommend reviewing the Configuration and Job Spec documentation before proceeding.
The HashiCorp Nomad Marketplace app was built by Linode. For support regarding app deployment, contact Linode Support. For support regarding the tool or software itself, browse the Nomad Community Forum.