Block storage performance??

We're evaluating Linode for a write heavy workload. In our testing we see a flat (regardless of write size/number of writers/etc) 1500iops. This is FAR below what we are looking for therefore are other storage options available? We did same test on the local disk and it was very strong but I don't see a way to add additional local disks? What am I missing? Thanks

2 Replies

For anyone finding this, this is what I found -

1 the local disks are excellent performance

2 you can only add disk space by upgrading your plan therefore you must scale up mem/cpu along with additional disk space

that's it. that's the only option.

block storage is for cold storage… anything that needs fast reads/writes cannot live there.

Generally, performance will be better on the local disks in part because there isn't an added network layer the data needs to traverse as when going from the Linode to the Block Storage Volume. While our volumes have a lot of uses, they may not work in every scenario.

For additional context on volume performance expectations, you can check out our techdocs:

| Performance Metric |  IOPS  | Throughput |
|:------------------:|:------:|:----------:|
| Sustained          | 8,000  | 350 MB/s   |
| Burst              | 12,000 | 525 MB/s   |

Reply

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct