Powerful open source monitoring tool.
Gain more visibility into your containerized apps and other builds without complicating workflows. Prometheus is a free software that enables developers to use its own query language, PromQL, to generate reports on monitored resources (or targets) in real-time and configure alerts. Prometheus is an accessible tool that works for organizations and projects of all sizes, from side projects to more complex workloads. Prometheus data is stored in metrics identified by labels, and the database itself follows an HTTP pull model.
Prometheus is often used alongside data visualizer tool Grafana. Luckily, both of these tools are available as One-Click apps. Get started with Prometheus and launch Grafana to get your data monitoring up to speed.
Getting Started after Deployment
Access Your Prometheus Instance
Now that your Prometheus One-Click App is deployed, you can log into Prometheus to access its expression browser, alerts, status, and more.
- Open a browser and navigate to
192.0.2.0with your Linode’s IP address. This will bring you to your Prometheus instance’s expression browser.
- Verify that Prometheus is serving metrics by navigating to
192.0.2.0with your Linode’s IP address. You should see a page of metrics similar to the example below.
3. Grafana, the open source analytics and metric visualization tool, supports querying Prometheus. Consider deploying a Grafana instance with One-Click Apps to create visualizations for your Prometheus metrics.
Prometheus Default Settings
- Prometheus’ main configuration is located in the
- This file includes a scrape configuration for Prometheus itself.
- The scraping interval and evaluation interval are configured globally to be
scrape_intervalparameter defines the time between each Prometheus scrape, while the
evaluation_intervalparameter is the time between each evaluation of Prometheus’ alerting rules.
- The Prometheus Node Exporter is added and enabled. This third-party system exporter is used to collect hardware and OS metrics. Your Node Exporter metrics are sent to port
9100of your Linode.
The Prometheus One-Click App was built by Linode. For support regarding app deployment, contact Linode Support via the information listed in the sidebar. For support regarding the tool or software itself, visit Prometheus Community.