Current Version: 1.1
Acceptable Use Policy
Last Updated: 15 December 2019
Effective Date: 01 January 2020
Linode requires your use of the Services to comply with applicable law and to be consistent with our community standards. The purpose of this Acceptable Use Policy (“Policy”) is to inform you of our expectations regarding your use of the Services.
By using or continuing to use a Service, you accept and consent to the rights, obligations, and practices described in this Policy
- Applicability. This Policy applies to you and your Covered Users with respect to the Services. You shall be responsible for: (i) informing your other Covered Users, if any, of the existence of this Policy, as well as any amendments, updates, or modifications made to this Policy; and (ii) agreeing to this Policy, as amended, updated or modified from time to time, on behalf of all Covered Users. This Policy forms a part of the Linode Terms of Service and is a Supplemental Use Policy thereunder. All capitalized terms not expressly defined in this Policy shall have the meaning found in the Master Services Agreement.
- Abuse. The Services may only be used for lawful purposes. You shall not use any Service to engage in, foster, or promote illegal, abusive, fraudulent, or irresponsible behavior, including without limitation:
- Creation or distribution of unsolicited bulk email and mailing lists;
- Disruption or interference of any data system or network, computer or communications system, software application, or network or computing device;
- Monitoring data or traffic on any network or system without the express authorization of the owner of the system or network.
- Use of any false, misleading, or deceptive header information in an email or a newsgroup posting;
- Use of an Internet account or computer without the owner's authorization;
- Distribution of any advertisement delivery software unless: (i) the user affirmatively consents to the download and installation of such software based on clear and conspicuous notice of the nature of the software, and (ii) the software is easily removable by use of standard tools for such purpose included on major operating systems;
- Distribution of any application or code that covertly gathers information about a user or covertly transmits information about the user;
- Unauthorized collection or use of any personally identifiable information or personally identifying information (including, without limitation, phishing, Internet scamming, password engineering, scraping, and harvesting);
- Unauthorized collection or use of any financial or health data; and
- Any conduct that is likely to result in retaliation against Linode or our Representatives, including engaging in behavior that results in any server being the target of a denial of service attack.
- Excessive Use of System Resources. You shall not use any shared system provided by Linode in a way that unnecessarily interferes with the normal operation of such shared system, or that consumes a disproportionate share of the resources of the system. You agree that Linode may quarantine or delete any Data stored on a shared system if the data is infected with a virus, is corrupted, or has the potential to infect or corrupt any Data that is stored on the same system.
- Vulnerability Testing. You shall not attempt to probe, scan, penetrate, or test the vulnerability of Linode or any Service, and shall not breach Linode security or authentication measures, whether by passive or intrusive techniques, without Linode's express written consent. If you are a Linode customer and need to perform a penetration test, let us know beforehand by emailing Support here.
- Newsgroups, Chat Forums, Other Networks. You shall comply with the rules and conventions for postings to any bulletin board, chat group or other forum in which you participate, such as Internet Relay Chat and USENET groups. You must comply with the rules of any other network you access or participate in while using the Services.
- Offensive Content. You shall not Process any content or link to any content that does not comply with applicable law or Linode’s community standards, including without limitation, any content that Linode deems at our sole discretion, to:
- constitute, depict, foster, promote, or relate in any manner to child sexual abuse, bestiality, or non-consensual sex acts;
- be excessively violent, incite violence, threaten violence, or contains harassing content or hate speech;
- be unfair or deceptive under the consumer protection laws of any jurisdiction, including chain letters and pyramid schemes;
- be defamatory or violates a person's privacy;
- create a risk to a person's safety or health, create a risk to public safety or health, compromise national security, or interferes with an investigation by law enforcement;
- improperly expose trade secrets or other confidential or proprietary information of another person or business;
- promote illegal drugs, violate export control laws, arise from or relate to illegal gambling or illegal trafficking;
- be otherwise illegal or to solicit conduct that is illegal under laws applicable to you or to Linode; or
- be otherwise malicious, fraudulent, or result in retaliation against Linode by offended viewers.
- Intellectual Property. You shall not use Linode's network or services to download, publish, display, distribute, copy or otherwise use or make available in any manner any text, music, software, art, image or other work protected by law unless: (i) you have been expressly authorized by the owner of the property; or (ii) you are otherwise authorized by established Intellectual Property law.
- Live Events. Linode may prohibit you from streaming live events where there is a risk, in Linode's discretion, that the event may in itself violate this Policy.
- Use of Assigned Identification.
- You shall only use Internet Protocol ("IP") addresses assigned to you by Linode in connection with your use of the Services.
- You agree that if a Linode IP address assigned to your Account becomes listed on an abuse database that you will automatically be in violation of this Policy, and that Linode may take any reasonable action to protect our IP address, including suspension and/or termination of your service, regardless of whether the IP addresses were listed as a result of your actions.
- You agree that if you register a Domain Name System ("DNS") record or zone on a Linode managed or operated Service for a domain for which you are not the registrant or administrative contact according to the registrar's WHOIS system, then, upon request from the registrant or administrative contact according to the registrar's WHOIS system, Linode may modify, transfer, or delete such records or zones.
- You shall not register to use any Service under a false name, or use an invalid or unauthorized credit card in connection to any Service.
- Enforcement and Effect of Violation. Violation of any provision of this Policy, whether as a single-instance or repeated occurrence, may result in the immediate interruption, suspension, or termination of your access and use of the Services, as determined by Linode at Linode’s sole discretion. You acknowledge, understand, and agree that Linode shall not be required to issue warnings, reprimands, or undergo any formal or informal process prior to causing the Services to be interrupted, suspended, and/or terminated.
- Service Credits. No service credit shall be available under the Terms of Service for interruptions, suspensions, or terminations of service arising from or related to any violation of this Policy.
- Changes. Amendments to this Policy may be made at any time and you should check back frequently for any changes. Linode shall have the right and ability to amend this Policy at Linode's sole and absolute discretion, and any amendments herein shall be effective within fourteen (14) days of being posted by Linode or by your continued use of the Services, whichever later.