How is the bandwidth calculated?

Just got a question + comment.

We are thinking of getting two, maybe three 360mb linodes.

1 caching, 1 db, 1 apache etc.

With our bandwidth, is it all pooled together, so in total we have 600gb, or does it keep with each linode.

eg.

Our apache server can use 400gb, db uses 150gb and cache linode uses 120gb.

Will we get billed for going 200gb over on our apache linode?

Does it get pooled like that?

Also, with the database on a separate node to apache, is that mean I am also going to have to pay for the internal bandwidth between those two if they are in the same data center?

7 Replies

Hello,

Transfer is counted by adding up the total amount transferred in and out of your Linode via its public interface. If you have multiple Linode accounts, the total data transferred is pooled. For example, if you have two Linode 360s you can do a maximum of 400GB/month, regardless if one does 300GB and one does 100GB.

Traffic between Linodes is NOT counted, but only if you use the private backend network.

Hope that helps,

-Chris

Hosts in the same datacenter can use the private network to communicate with no bandwidth charges.

As for pooling bandwidth, they don't normally, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't work out something with the linode staff. After all, you could always tunnel traffic through the private network to balance usage, so it should work out the same. :)

Note: I'm not staff, just a customer, so I don't know for sure if they'd go for it.

Edit: Ack, caker beat me to it. I guess I'm wrong about pooling :)

Nice!

I think that may just seal the deal for linode over slicehost.

My only concern is availability - highlighted in this question

http://www.linode.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3342#15503

Just wondering: why is using 3x Linode 360's better than using a single Linode 1080 ?

Seperation of services.

If the mysql starts to take more load then can bump up the node size, sure with them all on the one node it means the resouces don't goto waste as much. But doing it this way gives me a bit more control.

I could have backups of each other on each other so if something happens - I could quickly install apache / mysql apache (switch ip if needed) and away I go again.

Can you do the same regarding pooling for disk quota? Let's say I want to have 10 GiB on one 360-linode account and 14 GiB on the other. Can you make that possible?

@harmone:

Can you do the same regarding pooling for disk quota? Let's say I want to have 10 GiB on one 360-linode account and 14 GiB on the other. Can you make that possible?
No, because those are physical resources on each host that could otherwise go towards another Linode…

-Chris

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct