Community

[RESOLVED] Linode name servers not resolving hostnames

Avatar forum:Dweeber 11 months ago

Driving me a bit nuts here.

On Friday, I transfered my primary domain tnet.com from GoDaddy to Google Domains. I am moving all of my domains away from GoDaddy.

It is now Sunday and some hostnames in that domain not resolving using Linode's name servers.

On my Linode which uses the name servers:

nameserver 50.116.53.5

nameserver 50.116.58.5

nameserver 50.116.61.5

nameserver 50.116.62.5

nameserver 66.175.211.5

nameserver 66.228.42.5

It is still not seeing many of the hostnames in the domain. Or at least some of them. Such as:

proten.tnet.com - which happens to be the hostname for my Linode itself.

sleep.tnet.com

files.tnet.com

web.tnet.com

Checking each of the Linode name servers some work, some don't.

nameserver 50.116.53.5 SERVFAIL

nameserver 50.116.58.5 SERVFAIL

nameserver 50.116.61.5 SERVFAIL

nameserver 50.116.62.5 No problems resolves

nameserver 66.175.211.5 No problems resolves

nameserver 66.228.42.5 No problems resolves

Each of the nameservers were inserted when the linode was built (recently).

Is there something wrong with the first three?

Example of a failure:

# dig proten.tnet.com 

; <<>> DiG 9.10.3-P4-Debian <<>> proten.tnet.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 45234
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;proten.tnet.com.               IN      A

;; Query time: 124 msec
;; SERVER: 50.116.53.5#53(50.116.53.5)
;; WHEN: Sun Aug 20 11:08:07 MST 2017
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 44

Working one:

# dig proten.tnet.com @66.228.42.5

; <<>> DiG 9.10.3-P4-Debian <<>> proten.tnet.com @66.228.42.5
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 51325
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;proten.tnet.com.               IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
proten.tnet.com.        2598    IN      A       45.79.168.114

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 66.228.42.5#53(66.228.42.5)
;; WHEN: Sun Aug 20 11:09:43 MST 2017
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 60

I know I can change the order of the name servers and even remove the first three, but I think something is wrong that I am not seeing.

7 Replies

You're best off opening a ticket, as staff can look at the resolver logs and figure out why it's failing for those resolvers.

I already had done so but have not had a reply yet.

I've dealt with it by moving nameservers that work up on the list, but curious what the issue is as it is still happening on the other ones.

Got a reply early this morning.

> I went through and got everything resolved. Looks like all of the domains are good to go. Let us know if you have any other questions!

Not clear what they had to resolve though. All of the supplied nameservers now work.

Peng mentioned on IRC that it's possible that some of the resolvers were still trying to hit the old nameservers, due to cached NS records. Handling of that scenario isn't well-defined by RFCs, so different resolvers do it differently.

@glg:

I think part of the answer is that it's a bad idea to move both registrar and nameservers at the same time. I would have suggested moving nameservers first (ie change godaddy to point to linode nameservers), wait a couple days for that to propagate around. Then after that move registrar from godaddy to google.

For some reason I had not thought of setting up DNS here on Linode even though it is not hosted here. In most cases this has not been an issue since the name servers used were pointing to the web host's DNS servers.

I obviously can't use Google domains to setup the zone first.. but the method you mention should work much smother.

I don't use registrar and web hosting with the same company.

I've got one more large zone to move and will give that a shot.

Thanks!

I think part of the answer is that it's a bad idea to move both registrar and nameservers at the same time. I would have suggested moving nameservers first (ie change godaddy to point to linode nameservers), wait a couple days for that to propagate around. Then after that move registrar from godaddy to google.

Maybe try this solution to quickly resolve propagation:

https://www.sitepoint.com/community/t/i … d/285593/4">https://www.sitepoint.com/community/t/is-it-possible-to-test-when-a-site-has-propagated/285593/4

Reply

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct