Having trouble connecting to my website.

Hey everyone, so far loving linode! Having some trouble though.

I have followed the docs in order to setup my server with Apache, added some other stuff as well like npm and composer, all is well.

When I connect to my linode via ip address directly, I am routed to the Apache Ubuntu default page, as expected.

However if I try to access my site via domain name with or without the "www.", the connection times out.

I am using a namecheap domain and I have added the "nsX.linode.com" 1-5 to the domain settings, on the namecheap website.

When I ping my domain from my local cmd, I do see my linode's IP address as the receiver.

My domain.conf inside of my 'sites-available' looks like this. (except with my domain name)

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName example.com
    ServerAlias www.example.com
    ServerAdmin [email protected]
    DocumentRoot /var/www/html/example.com/public_html
    DirectoryIndex index.html index.php
    LogLevel warn
    ErrorLog /var/www/html/example.com/logs/error.log
    CustomLog /var/www/html/example.com/logs/access.log combined
</VirtualHost>

If all looks well I guess I will continue to wait to see if it starts working, as I know the nameserver thing can take time but when I was pinging it and getting my linode IP address led me to believe that the nameserver stuff is not my issue here. Any assistance is appreciated!

2 Replies

It would be helpful to include the domain name here, as sometimes the issue isn't related to exactly what you might think. I was able to locate your account and check the DNS record for your website. It looks like both the A and AAAA records are using the wrong IP addresses. The ones being used point to our DNS resolvers, not a customer's Linode.

The correct IP addresses will be listed on the main Summary page for your Linode, along the right, under a section labeled IP Addresses. You can use the little icons next to each address to copy them quickly and then update your DNS record with the correct IP addresses.

I will make sure to include the domain in the future.

Ahh okay, I understand now. Thank you!

Update: I've changed the A records like mentioned above but I am still getting the same results.

Update # 2: After checking just now the nameservers appear to be updated and my website is up and running! :D

Reply

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct