I am having trouble getting a Graphic UI installed
I ran the sudo apt-get install xfce4 command
Tried to run: exec /sbin/getty -8 38400 tty1 &
Then ran: startxfce4
I then tried GlishLaunch Graphical Web Console but its just saying:
Looks like you may have run the 'sudo apt-get install xfce4' & 'startxfce4' commands outside of the Glish console.
Steps to correct this issue:
1) Manually start getty with this command in the Linode’s command line:
exec /sbin/getty -8 38400 tty1 &
2) Once this is done, use the Glish link in your “Remote Access” tab via your Linode Manager to launch the Graphical Web Console
3) A new window will pop up. In that window, log into your Glish console with your user name and password
4) Once logged into your Glish console, run the command below, (within the Glish Console itself), to install the Desktop Environment:
sudo apt-get install xfce4
5)Once xfce4 is installed, we’ll need to start the service using the following command:
You’ll now see the graphic user interface. You can now use the icons on the desktop to navigate around, but bringing the mouse cursor to the top and bottom of that screen should show you even more options.
You now have your desktop running on your Linode.
Hi and thanks for your reply.
Ok so from the beginning to make sure i have not missed anything
1) Deploy an Image from Dashboard
2) ubuntu 18.04 LTS
3) Boot image
4) Click remote access tab
5) Do you connect initially with Lish via Browser - Launch Lish Console or one of the other remote access methods?
Thanks for your help.
6) i connected via Lish via Browser Launch Lish Console
logged in as root with my password
7) ran the exec /sbin/getty -8 38400 tty1 &
it returned this:
root@localhost:~# exec /sbin/getty -8 38400 tty1 &
8) i then tried click Glish link in my “Remote Access” tab via my Linode Manager to launch the Graphical Web Console however it just says "Invalid Session. Please try again from remote access tab"
It looks like the issue that you're seeing is because you're accessing Lish through your browser, when instead you need to click on the
Launch Graphical Web Console link and enter the commands there. Once you've accessed this console, you just need to login normally and enter the following commands:
sudo apt-get install xfce4 startxfce4
I just got this set up on ubuntu 18 to make sure your distro is compatible, so I think follow those steps should work for you.
Hope that helps!
Hi and thanks for your reply.
See my screen recording to show im sure im doing exactly this but getting an error no matter what i try?
No problem at all, I'm happy to help. Have you been able to try accessing Glish through a different web browser? Some browsers can have compatibility issues with Glish, so I think trying a different one may work for you. That error specifically usually occurs for this reason.
ok will try now
im using chrome
mate you are SPOT ON! It was Chrome not allowing the connection. I downloaded Firefox and it worked first time.
Thanks for all your help guys. Much appreciated.
Have a great day