DNS with Google domain

I'm brand new to website hosting/networking.

I have received my domain name from google domains. I am using custom name servers ns1.linode.com, ns2.linode.com, etc. I added the IPV4 and IPV6 adresses to a registered host on google domains. For this lets say its illenexample.com

I tested the website with the pure IP address on my linode remote access (ie. 198.99.99.999)

How do I set these up so that if i type in illenexample.com into a browser it will direct it to 192.99.99.999?

15 Replies

cdetlef.com and 198.74.54.241

Looks like there is no valid A record for 'cdetlef.com'.

zoidberg:~ peter$ dig @8.8.8.8 a cdetlef.com

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> @8.8.8.8 a cdetlef.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 19452
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;cdetlef.com.            IN  A

;; Query time: 531 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Sat Dec 30 16:10:40 2017
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 29

zoidberg:~ peter$

Checking the zone gives me:

"

Your zone looks good!

zone ns1.illenexample.com/IN: ns1.illenexample.com/MX 'mail.illenexample.com' (out of zone) has no addresses records (A or AAAA)

zone ns1.illenexample.com/IN: loaded serial 2017122234

OK

"

The reverse DNS lookup on Linode gives back "No match was found for 'host.illenexample.com'. Reverse DNS must have a matching forward entry that points to one of your IPs."

Using Linode control panel, the DNS section

I still cannot get the named website to work

198.99.99.999 works but www.illenexample.com does not

I am in the DNS manager for linode:

Breadcrumb is DNS Manager >> ns1.illenexample.com

SOA record as my Linote ns1.linode.com

my NS records all show ns1.illenexample.com

I ahve an MX record that says mail.illenexample.com

In A/AAAA records I have :

Hostname | IP Address | TTL

| 198.99.99.999 | Default

mail | 198.99.99.999 | Default

www | 198.99.99.999 | Default

www | 198.99.99.999 | Default

| 2600:3c02::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx | Default

mail | 2600:3c02::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx | Default

www | 2600:3c02::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx | Default

No CNAME Reocrds

No TXT Record

No SRV Records

No CAA records

What have i set up wrong?

Does the forward lookup against public DNS (i.e. dig +short a www.illenexample.com) return results or not?

If it does then this is no longer a DNS issue.

That command returns nothing

Have you considered telling us the actual domain and IP so we look into this properly instead of playing a guessing game?

I'm not sure how to do that in google domains. Once I added the name servers I got he message.

"It looks like you've changed your name servers. All settings for your domain (including website, email, synthetic records and resource records) are currently disabled. To enable these settings, you will need to restore the Google Domains name servers."

The place to add the A records is in the "Custom resource records" section, which the above message implies is disabled.

You changed your nameservers to Linode, so you make your DNS changes in your Linode panel.

Is the domain zone set to ACTIVE in Linode's DNS manager? (If you edit the SOA record within Linode Manager, there's a Domain Status setting where you can modify this.)

Yes it is set to "Active - Turn ON serving this domain"

I added the A and AAA records to linode DNS. Not sure what the issue is now.

Linode NS servers return refused status on this domain, which means the domain isn't configured in Linode or something is wrong with it. Double check you spelled the domain name correctly in the DNS control panel. If not, you need to talk to Linode support.

Reply

Please enter an answer
Tips:

You can mention users to notify them: @username

You can use Markdown to format your question. For more examples see the Markdown Cheatsheet.

> I’m a blockquote.

I’m a blockquote.

[I'm a link] (https://www.google.com)

I'm a link

**I am bold** I am bold

*I am italicized* I am italicized

Community Code of Conduct