Build PHP applications with an NGINX server instead of Apache.
The LEMP stack replaces the Apache web server component with NGINX (“Engine-X”), providing the E in the acronym: Linux OS, NGINX server, MySQL/MariaDB relational database management system, and the PHP programming language. This stack will work for almost all applications that are compatible with a LAMP stack. The advantage of choosing NGINX is the ability to serve more pages simultaneously with a predictable memory usage profile, making it a more stable alternative in high demand scenarios.
Set up this standard development stacks even more efficiently using Linode’s One-Click App.
The LEMP Stack One-Click App will install the following software on your Linode:
|NGINX v1.10.3||Web server that can be used to serve your site or web application.|
|MySQL Server v10.1.44||Relational database.|
|PHP 7 v7.0.33||General purpose programming language.|
|UFW v0.35||Firewall utility. Ports 22/tcp and 80/tcp for IPv4 and IPv6 will allow outgoing and incoming traffic.|
LEMP Stack Options
|New User||The username for a new non-root sudo user. Required.|
|New User Password||The Password for the new user. Required.|
|MySQL Root Password||The root password for your LEMP stack’s MySQL database. This is not the same as your Linode’s root password. Required.|
Getting Started After Deployment
After your LEMP stack has finished deploying, you can:
- Connect to your Linode via SSH as your root or limited user. You will need your Linode’s root and/or user password to proceed. Note that your Linode’s web root will be located in the
- Navigate to the public IP address of your Linode in a browser. You will see the PHP settings that are active for your Linode.
- Consult the following guides to learn more about working with the various components of the LEMP stack:
- Upload files to your web root directory with an SFTP application like FileZilla. Use the same root credentials that you would use for SSH.
- Assign a domain name to your Linode’s IP address. Review the DNS Manager guide for instructions on setting up your DNS records in the Cloud Manager, and read through DNS Records: An Introduction for general information about how DNS works.
This One-Click App was built by Linode. For support regarding app deployment, contact Linode Support via the information listed in the sidebar. For support regarding the tool or software itself, visit LEMP Support.