As the head of Linode’s influencer program, I’ve been checking out a lot of new apps as part of my role working with content creators. If you’re like me, now’s a good time to search for some new cloud projects. In addition to looking in the usual places like Self-Hosted Alternatives to Popular Services on Reddit and the awesome-self-hosted software on github, I find myself coming back to YouTubers.
Here are five of my favorite influencer videos released over the past few months. In this post, I’m highlighting one-click app projects you can run in the cloud.
- Jenkins is a self-contained, open source tool that automates all sorts of tasks related to building, testing and delivering, or deploying software. As The Cherno explains, Jenkins allows you to build and test your code automatically every time a new commit gets pushed.
- MySQL is an open-source database management system used in popular development stacks such as LAMP and LEMP (also available as one-click apps in the Marketplace). As Engineer Man explains in his 7 Simple tips for being successful with MySQL video, it’s easy to use Linode’s one-click MySQL app and get started.
- Are you looking to get into Docker? Here’s is a great place to start: In this Docker video, Chuck goes through the basics of Docker in a way anyone can understand.
- Sometimes simpler is better. Bryan Lunduke preaches the simplicity and reliability of choosing to host a static website. Static websites load faster, are served more reliably, and are supported on just about any web browser.
- One of the more obvious—and fun—uses for your Linode is hosting a Minecraft server. As Nick from The Linux Experiment shows in this video, you can easily set up a world for you and your friends to play, build, and have fun.
These are just a few of my favorite apps. I’d love to hear about yours. Who knows? They could be good candidates for our Marketplace. And if you have a favorite YouTube channel, I want to hear about it, too. Shoot me an email. I’ll check it out, possibly add it to our growing list of YouTubers we support, and list it in a future blog post.